Christmas and New Year recycling and waste.
Your recycling and waste collections over the festive period will be different from your usual day of the week.
Refer to the calendar below or visit dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/recycling to check you collection days.
Table of revised bin collection days
Usual collection day Revised collection day
Friday 22 December- no change
Monday 25 December – Wednesday 27 December
Tuesday 26 December – Thursday 28 December
Wednesday 27 December – Friday 29 December
Thursday 28 December – Saturday 30 December
Friday 29 December – Tuesday 2 January
Monday 1 January – Wednesday 3 January
Tuesday 2 January – Thursday 4 January
Wednesday 3 January – Friday 5 January
Thursday 4 January – Saturday 6 January
Friday 5 January – Monday 8 January
Monday 8 January – Tuesday 9 January
Tuesday 9 January – Wednesday 10 January
Wednesday 10 January – Thursday 11 January
Thursday 11 January – Friday 12 January
Friday 12 January – Saturday 13 January
Collection days will return to normal from Monday 15 January.
Remember: We will collect up to two extra sacks of rubbish beside your bin on your first rubbish collection after Christmas Day
• No garden waste collections will take place from Christmas Eve until Monday 8 January
• Household recycling centres are open from 9am to 4pm daily, except Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day
• Extra recycling, including glass and food, will be collected on your recycling collection day, provided it has been separated correctly and placed in a suitable sturdy container (no bags) that can be easily lifted by one person
• Please help our crews by putting your glass out for collection before Christmas. This ensures you have as much space as possible in your glass box, helping prevent over spilling containers, and reduces the amount of extra glass we collect over the busy festive period.
Many households produce extra waste over Christmas, but much of it can be recycled using your kerbside Recycle for Dorset service. Remember that you can recycle:
• Cooked and uncooked food, using your food waste bin
• Wrapping paper (not foil or glittery paper, please)
• Cardboard and recyclable packaging (not polystyrene)
• Christmas cards and envelopes (no glitter)
See what items can be recycled at the kerbside at dorsetcouncil.gov.uk/which-bin
Dorset Council does not collect Christmas trees of any kind with rubbish or recycling at the kerbside.
You can recycle your real Christmas tree by:
• Home composting it
• Cutting it up and placing it in your garden waste bin
• Taking it to a household recycling centre
• Booking a Christmas tree collection with a Dorset-based charity or service.